This is another new recipe I’m trying this year. I really do like bacon, and I thought this would be a nice gift for one of our friends who also loves bacon and bourbon.
The only problem is I ate so much of it, I had to make more for his gift! It was delicious, a little sweet, little salty and of course the bacon. So, so good! I found this recipe over at https://Food.com, I hope you’ll give it a try. Let’s jump right in!
5 quarts plain popped corn
1 lb thick center cut bacon
1 cup butter
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup maple syrup or light corn syrup
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp. Baking soda
3 oz. Bourbon
Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
Microwave popcorn to make 5 quarts.
Cook bacon in the oven at 400° for about 20 minutes until golden.
Once cool and grease has been drained, use kitchen shears to cut bacon into square pieces and set aside. Turn oven down to 250ºF.
Melt one cup of butter over medium heat in Dutch oven.
Mix in brown sugar, maple syrup, and sea salt.
Continue to stir until boiling at the edges.
Lower the heat slightly and let boil until the caramel is 250°F.
Remove from heat, add baking soda and stir.
Add in bourbon and stir.
Note: I was supposed to add the bacon into the caramel at this point. I did not do that. I added the bacon in later, and it came out just fine. I’m sure you could do it either way.
Pour caramel mixture over popcorn and stir to fully incorporate.
Add in the bacon if you have not already done so.
Spread popcorn mixture onto sheet pan or stone, and bake at 250° for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to fully coat the popcorn with the bourbon and caramel mixture.
Remove from oven, let cool completely. That’s it! This makes a wonderful gift, and a great addition to any charcuterie board. Please let me know if you try out this recipe.
Bacon Bourbon Caramel Popcorn
- 5 qts plain popped corn
- 1 lb thick sliced bacon
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- ½ cup maple syrup OR light corn syrup
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 ounces Bourbon
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Microwave popcorn to make 5 quarts popped.
- Cook bacon on Stone in oven for 20-22 minutes until golden. Remove from oven, let cool. Place bacon on paper towel to remove extra grease, then cut bacon into pieces or crumble with your hands. Set aside.
- Turn oven down to 250ºF.
- Melt 1 cup of butter over medium heat. Mix in brown sugar, maple syrup and sea salt and then stir until beginning to boil just around the edges of the pan. Lower the heat, and continue to boil until the caramel is 250º. Remove from heat and add the baking soda and bourbon. Stir in the bacon.
- Coat the popcorn with the caramel mixture in a very large bowl, then pour out onto 2 stoneware bar pans. If using a different type of pan, be sure to lightly grease the pan before adding the popcorn.
- Bake popcorn for @ 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to thoroughly coat all pieces.
- Remove from oven, let cool slightly. Serve immediately. Refrigerate any leftovers. Enjoy!
Link to original recipe: https://www.food.com/recipe/bacon-bourbon-caramel-popcorn-495401